Thursday 16 February 2012

Spending Update - Jan/Feb

Not a great month this month. I keep a spreadsheet on my computer that tracks all my standing orders and direct debits and I add in the cash I withdraw and card transactions I make as the month goes on. At least that's meant to be the plan. This month I managed to miss a couple of fairly hefty transactions so I thought I had more money than I did. When I sat down with the bank statement to match them up I got a bit of a nasty surprise. This led to me raiding the eBay stash to get to the end of the month!

Transfer £200
Bank £0
Wallet £0
Change £38.58

£238.58

This month I have to pay off the credit card as I used it to buy tickets for the Cirque du Soleil show Immortal which I wouldn't have missed for the world and will also repay the borrowed eBay money!  I have also taken out some cash and put it into various envelopes for the things that I know I have booked this month such as a friends leaving do (we're going for afternoon tea at a London hotel!), a friends wedding (the bed and breakfast is paid for but I'll need train fare etc), and having my nails done! We also get a council tax break in Feb and Mar which means I'll have a little extra to play with. I'm currently deciding whether to treat myself to something that has been on my wish list for a while, save it, or maybe do a bit of both!!

I know I keep saying it but this month I really do intend to keep track of evry penny. My plan is to keep a note on my iPhone every time I spend anything. In theory I'll know how much is in my wallet at the start of the day, how much I've spent on what during the day and therefore what will be left in my wallet at the end of the day. The plan is then to categorise everything and come up with some sort of chart or graph at the end! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment